"good divers never stop learning"
This course is designed to teach certified divers how to safely utilize side-mounted primary cylinders as an alternative to the traditional back-mounted configuration.
The course is geared solely to open water, non-decompression diving and is designed for any diver interested in learning to dive a sidemount configuration.
Motivations for Sidemount
- Additional tool
- Streamlined, less drag
- Lower profile for confined spaces
- Easy Trim
- Adjust gear to body shape
- Independent dbl cyls allow for gas redundancy w/o X-over valve
- X-over valve is vulnerable to impacts and thus potential failure pt.
- Leaks easily detected, valves in-sight and accessible
- Range of head motion increased
- Tanks easily attached and removed in h2o, enter or exit H2with or without tanks
- Tanks more manageable to and from dive site
Qualifications after certification
- Upon successful completion of the Sidemount course, graduates may engage in sidemount diving activities with maximum two (2) independent tanks without direct supervision.
Open Water Training
- A maximum of 4 students per Instructor
- Instructor’s discretion to reduce this number as conditions dictate
Number of Dives and Course Duration
- Two (2) dives are required with complete briefs and debriefs by the instructor
- Minimum one (1) day
The following topics will be covered during this course:
- Gas management utilizing independent cylinders
- Equipment considerations
- Cylinder options
- Regulator options
- Wing / harness options
- Proper weighting
- Equipment configurations
- Problem solving
- Appropriate entries and exit
- S-Drills (specific to sidemount)
In order to complete this course, students must:
- Pass exam with 75% or better
- Perform all open water dive requirements safely and efficiently
- Demonstrate mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
- Log all dives
June 23, 2019: Sunday 9:30-5:30. Scheduled certification dives TDB
Open Water Diver or equivalent. Minimum age 15 years
Experience the other two thirds
When are classes?
Check out our calendar
Store Hours: Monday - Thursday Noon-6; Friday Noon-5; Sat noon-4; Closed Sunday and Major Holidays
Complete the form below and a qualified staff member will contact you directly to discuss your experience and enroll you in our available class schedule.