"good divers never stop learning"
The Rescue Diver Course is designed to develop the knowledge and necessary skills to effectively perform diver rescues and assist and administer the necessary first aid in the event of an emergency. You will learn skills such as how to perform self-rescue, buddy rescues, recognize and calm panicked divers, administer proper first aid to divers suffering dive related injuries, conduct effective search patterns and manage accident scenes.
- Described as "the most fun and most educational diving instruction"
Motivations for Rescue
- Any certified open water scuba diver who wishes to expand their diver knowledge and skill set
- Any certified advanced diver who would like to advance their dive training
- Anyone interested in becoming a Master Diver or advance to a Leadership roll
Number of Dives and Course Duration
- four to five class room discussions and lectures
- 1 two to four hour pool session of technique building
- 1 two day quarry weekend of mastered skill demonstration and practical application thru our simulated emergencies
Qualification for Recognition
- Complete exam with a score of at least 75%
- Demonstrate competence in executing skills to satisfaction of the instructor
- Complete all open water requirements
The following topics will be covered during this course:
The rescue course is designed to develop the knowledge and necessary skills for an individual to effectively perform diver rescues and assists, and administer first aid.
- Prevention and causes of diving accidents
- Stress and psychological factors
- Physical conditioning
- Diving lifesaving
- Self rescue
- Diver assists
- Surface and underwater rescues
- Types of transports
- In-water artificial respiration
- Boat and shore exit techniques
- Diver first aid
- Review of oxygen administration
- Hyperbaric injuries and management
- Information collection
- Access to a hyperbaric chamber
- Accident Management
- Access to emergency transport/assistance
- Accident reporting
- Liability and related legal considerations
Some of the in-water skills include:
- On the surface:
- Identify and assist a properly equipped skin or scuba diver simulating:
- Breathing difficulties
- Leg cramp
- Early panic symptoms
- Locate and bring to the surface a scuba diver simulating unconsciousness
- Handle simulated emergencies such as entrapment
- Maintain proper trim while assisting in underwater incidents
- Upon surfacing
- transport the unconscious diver to shore or boat, simulating in-water rescue breathing
- Upon reaching the shore or boat
- with the assistance of one aide, remove the diver from the water
Class Schedule: An updated schedule will be available as state mandates for social gatherings are adjusted.
In the mean time, we encourage our students to take advantage of E-learning courses available through NAUI and PADI. Please contact us for the necessary codes.
Minimum age 10
Provide proof of current CPR and first aid
oxygen (O2) provider certification*
Advanced Diver certification
*not required but recommended
Experience the other two thirds
Store Hours: Monday - Thursday Noon-6; Friday Noon-5; Sat 10-4; Closed Sunday and Major Holidays
When are classes?
Check out our calendar
Complete the form below and a qualified staff member will contact you directly to discuss your experience and enroll you in our available class schedule.